- Pick-Up-And-Play Controls – Fans asked and 2K Sports answered with easy-to-learn controls that still provide depth for the seasoned veteran
- Expanded Superstar Moves – An updated arsenal of special manoeuvres including open ice moves will burn opponents and create never-before-seen highlight reel moments
- All-New Presentation System – In-game menus, pre-game intros, new crowd animations, game summary replays and brand-new commentary featuring Randy Hahn and Drew Remenda
- True Hockey Fun! – Indulge in the uniqueness of hockey with the addictive Zamboni driving mini-game, user-controlled Stanley Cup celebrations, playoff beards, enhanced checking and a brand-new fighting engine
- Team-Up with up to 12 consoles online – Hop online, pick a position and form a team of up to 6 separate consoles. It's the first-ever NHL 12-console play!
- Reel Maker 2K9 – Included this year on both Xbox 360 and PLAYSTATION3, users will be able to save, edit, share and rate user-generated NHL 2K9 highlight reels on Xbox LIVE, PlayStationNetwork and via the web
- 2K Beats – Featuring Pennywise, Bad Religion, The Offspring, NOFX, The Ramones, Inner Circle, Mastodon, Operation Ivy, High on Fire and more.